I’ve been so locked in on my “supplement of the month” that I forgot that allergy season is just around the corner! And why is that important? Because I have an amazing allergy treatment protocol BUT it has to be done before the allergy season starts...which means NOW! But first, let’s talk about what causes allergies.
Your immune system
Allergies are a response by your immune system to, well, allergens. When your body encounters these allergens, the immune system responds to them as though they are invaders that the body must protect itself from. The immune system responds by releasing immune cells and inflammatory factors. This causes our well-known allergy symptoms: sneezing, itching, congestion, redness, nasal congestion, and in more severe cases shortness of breath and even anaphylaxis. OK, got it. But why do allergies develop in the first place. Why does one person have a reaction to something, even to the point that it can be life threatening, and another person has absolutely no reaction. Why do some people react to things like pollen and other natural substances that have been around for tens of thousands of years? That is the question that we ask and it is crucial to properly treating allergies with acupuncture.
What really causes allergies?
The real cause of allergies is not well understood. There are a few theories, however.
- Genetics: It is known that allergies run in families so there is some genetic predisposition to having allergies.
- Hygiene Hypothesis: Overuse of antimicrobials and much cleaner environments, ironically, are thought to be a cause of allergies.
- Digestion: If stomach acid is not strong enough to break things down properly or you have something called “leaky gut”, this can be a cause of allergies. If certain things are getting into the bloodstream that are not supposed to be there, the immune system will react to them. Over a long period of time, this reaction, over and over again can cause the immune system to start to overreact and react to things that it shouldn’t, thus causing allergies. Colostrum, stand alone, can fix this (see how I worked the supplement of the month in!)
- Toxins/Pollutants: Exposure to toxins, pollutants, additives in our environment and even in our foods can lead the immune system to overreact.
- Weakened Immune System: Again, ironically, a weakened immune system can lead to allergies. If the immune system is weak and dealing with a viral infection and there are allergens in the body at the same time, the immune system can go overboard and create antibodies for both. Then, the next time the body encounters the allergen, it triggers an immune response.
What causes YOUR allergies?
This is the real question to ask. If you are being treated for a weakened immune system and the allergies are due to poor digestion, how much good is that going to do YOU. Finding out what is causing your allergies is the key to successfully treating allergies.
Treatment at Princeton Acupuncture & Oriental Medicine
We have developed a four-treatment protocol that gives our patient phenomenal results and relief. This treatment has to be done before allergy season starts and all treatments have to be done within two weeks. This treatment plan includes an herbal rinse and will provide relief from symptoms. Once the symptoms are under control, we can find out what caused the allergies in the first place and treat that. Call today for details.
Princeton Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine
Our patients know just how effective treatments are for these and a host of other problems. Steven Hoffman, a New Jersey Licensed Acupuncturist and Diplomate in Oriental Medicine, will provide you with a thorough intake and evaluation and a clear, comprehensive diagnosis and treatment plan that will insure that your goals are met or exceeded. Do you want to move past these or other problems? We will help you thrive not just survive!